Carpal tunnel is a condition where a person experiences tingling, pain, weakness, numbness in the hand, because of the pressure on the median nerve located in the wrist. Basically, the median nerve travels from the arm to the hand through a tiny space in the wrist known as the carpal tunnel. The carpal tunnel can often swell, making the available space even smaller which creates a significant burden on the nerve.
The most common reasons for such kind of swelling can be –
- Pregnancy When a women is expecting, her body produces a fluid (oedema) that can gather in the tissues of the wrist. This causes swelling which leads to the creation of pressure on the median nerve. This could mostly occur during the first and the second trimester of the pregnancy. The condition might not quickly subside after the baby is born, it might take a few weeks for it to completely go away.
In older women, carpal tunnel can occur due to the onset of menopause.
- Overworking If a person constantly overworks a particular hand, then there are good chances that they might develop carpal tunnel syndrome. Excessive and persistent arching of the wrist can eventually lead to nerve damage. This condition is usually observed in individuals that work in assembly lines in the manufacturing companies.
- Pre-existing conditions Carpal tunnel can be a result of an existing health condition like diabetes, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, bone fracture, dislocation, nerve injury, obesity, etc.
How can you treat carpal tunnel syndrome?
- Firstly, visit your doctor so that they can accurately diagnose you and recommend you with the most viable form of treatment. For example, during pregnancy carpal tunnel is a very common condition to occur. This means that your gynecologist will definitely be aware about it and will recommend you the right medication/exercises.
- Find simple wrist and hand exercises that can involve stretching and elevation in the right manner. You can also try yoga, although make sure that your yoga exercises aren’t complex.
- Take a break from all the activities that require a constant movement of your wrist.
If you happen to experience pain or tingling after you wake up, wear a splint while you’re sleeping.
- If the carpal tunnel syndrome has occurred because of an existing health condition, make sure that you get latter treated correctly. For instance, if you are suffering from obesity ensure that you adapt a healthy lifestyle to lose weight. Loss of excessive fat from the body will help ease the pressure off the median nerve.