Bags under eyes, also known as puffiness of eyes, are common with aging and especially, among older people. With aging, the muscles supporting the eyelids start weakening and fat supporting the eyes move into lower eyelids. This causes the eyes to appear puffy. There is also a possibility of fluids accumulating below the eyes and adding to the swelling.
Eye puffiness is not a serious medical condition but it makes you look older. Home remedies such as applying cucumber, tea bags, etc. on the eyes can help to treat eye puffiness. In case of severe and persistent symptoms, it is good to consult a doctor.
Signs and symptoms
Common symptoms of bags under eyes include:
- Saggy or loose skin under eyes
- Mild swelling under the eye area
- Dark circles appearing under eyes
In case of persistent symptoms, it is necessary to consult the doctor. These symptoms include the following:
- Swelling persists for a longer duration
- Puffiness is accompanied by pain, irritation, or redness of eye
- Other body parts such as hands, legs, etc. are affected
What causes the bags under your eyes?
- Aging: With aging, the muscles supporting the eyes get weaker and results in accumulation of fat beneath your eyes. This makes the portion under your eyes look baggy.
- Diseases: Suffering from various diseases and other health conditions such as conjunctivitis, eczema, chronic sinus, etc. are known to cause bags under eyes.
- Allergies: Exposure to allergens will cause allergies that lead to inflaming of the mucous membrane in the eyes. This will result in swelling and itching of eyes.
- Insomnia or oversleeping: Lack of sleep will cause puffiness of eyes along with dark circles. Oversleeping also results in puffy eyes and dark circles.
How to treat under eye bags?
The various home treatment methods to cure eye puffiness are as described below:
Drinking plenty of water keeps your body well hydrated and thus helps in reducing eye puffiness. Water also helps to flush out harmful toxins from the body. It is recommended to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day for staying well hydrated.
Cold cucumbers have inflammatory properties that will tighten the skin and help in reducing eye puffiness. It also benefits to get rid of dark circles and will provide a refreshing feeling to the eyes. You can take two fresh slices of refrigerated cucumber and place them on your eyes for few minutes till the slices become warm. Repeat the process several times a day to get better results.
Potatoes also possess anti-inflammatory properties which provide a good remedy for treating eye bags. It is also beneficial in getting rid of dark circles. Refrigerate a washed, raw potato for few minutes and cut it into two slices. Place them on your eyes for 15–20 minutes. Repeat this procedure several times until the puffiness reduces.
The skin tightening properties of egg whites play a great role in treating eye puffiness and tightening the skin around eyes. Besides, it also helps to prevent wrinkles. Break 2–3 eggs and take the egg whites in a container. Whip the egg whites thoroughly. Apply it on the affected area using a clean brush or soft cloth. Leave it for few minutes and allow it to dry. Finally, clean it with cold water. Repeat the process daily.
Tea bags, whether green tea bags or chamomile tea bags, can help to reduce swelling under the eyes due to their anti-irritant properties. Their herbal properties are also helpful in reducing inflammation and redness. Take two chilled tea bags and place them on your eyes. Relax for a few minutes and you will notice quick results.
Even though it sounds surprising, but ice-chilled spoons prove to be very effective in reducing puffiness of eyes. They help to tighten the skin surrounding eyes and relax the blood vessels. Refrigerate 4 or 6 metal spoons for some minutes. Place a spoon over each eye by holding its rounded portion against the eyes and leave them as it is until they become warm. Repeat the process again by replacing the warm spoons with the cold ones.
Bags under eyes creams
Besides the above-mentioned home remedies, there are also many eye products available in the market to treat puffiness of eyes. The below list consists of the top 10 bags under eyes creams available to treat puffiness of eyes:
- MDSolarSciences Daily Eye Repair Emulsion
- Honest Beauty The Depuffed Eye
- Origins No Puffery Cooling Roll-On for Puffy Eyes
- Barbara Sturm Eye Cream
- Puffy the Eye Bag Slayer Wake-Up Under Eye Patches
- NYDG Skincare Re-Contour Eye Gel
- Preparation H Hemorrhoidal Cream
- Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm
- L’Oreal Advanced Revitalift Eye Cream
- Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream
You can choose from these top 10 bags under eyes creams to get effective and quick results. However, it would be better to consult your doctor before choosing one of these bags under eyes creams so that you would have a better idea of which cream would suit you better.
How to prevent your eyes from puffiness?
- Reducing the intake of salt in your diet
- Avoiding carbonated and caffeinated beverages
- Avoid rubbing the eyes
- Avoiding too much alcohol
- Staying well hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Increasing your intake of vitamins
You can use any of the above-mentioned home remedies or bags under eyes creams to get effective results and get rid of the bags under your eyes.