GoPro is one of the most popular companies when it comes to compact and portable camera technology. The mini cameras give most commercial grade cameras a run for their money by featuring stunning designs and sleek dimensions. The camera fits right into your pocket but packs everything you’ll ever need for capturing professional photos and videos.
Here are a few points to consider and a technical overview of the latest in GoPro technology, the Hero7 Black.
Points to consider
- In comparison to DSLR and commercial grade cameras, GoPros are stunningly compact, portable, and very easy to handle.
- GoPro cameras are waterproof and using a special casing for outer layer protection, you can even use the camera for deep sea shooting.
- GoPros are made with durable materials, making it super tough to withstand drops and sudden jolts to the unit.
- It is one of the most popular wearable devices that allows you to shoot on the go with different types of mounts available for your head, chest, wrist, helmet, and even your face.
- Note that most GoPro devices have a fixed focal length and predetermined settings for image capturing and video recording.
- This means you will not have the liberty of manipulating the aperture and shutter speed, which is all possible in a professional grade DSLR camera.
- There is a learning curve involved in using GoPro cameras as the technology is different from what professional and amateur photographers mostly work with.
Photo and video
The Hero7 Black is capable of capturing 12 MP images. There are multiple options for time-lapse photo, continuous photo capture, SuperPhoto, RAW Photo Capture, and Exposure control to ensure quality images. The camera is capable of recording 4K resolution footage at different aspect ratios with a maximum video bitrate of 78 Mb/s and saves the footage in mp4 format. A 60 fps frame speed allows you to edit and publish videos in slow motion.
Key recording features
Although there is no provision for 360-degree spherical capture, the camera does feature HyperSmooth video stabilization to maximize the smoothness of the video capture. Other key features include voice control, wake on voice, auto offload content to your phone, time-lapse video, and an 8x slow-motion record feature, live streaming, and the time warp video feature.
Hero7 Black is also the only GoPro that has Protune settings, allowing you to manually control color, white balance, and shutter speed with advanced image and video settings. A 3-mic processing system helps in wind noise reduction with support for stereo audio and a slot for 3.5 mm audio Mic. You can also outfit Karma drones with the Hero7 Black to shoot amazing footage with flawless quality.
Hero7 Black has a removable battery and is waterproof for up to 33 ft (10 m) with support for touch screen. It is also Super Suit dive compatible to shoot videos over a depth 196 ft (60 m). Note that the quality of the recording and color settings will adjust depending on your dive depth and location.
The Hero7 Black can be purchased from the official website for a price of approximately $399.99.