Teeth weaken with age and it is only a matter of time before replacements become a requirement. However, teeth loss can also be a result of other causes, such as injury and illness. The most practical solution to teeth replacement is dental implants. New York like many other cities in USA have many people who need implants to look good and live healthy. Implants can be used to replace a single tooth, several or even the entire set of teeth. If you are considering getting them, here is what you need to know.
What exactly is a dental implant?
As the name suggests, a dental implant is the surgical placement of an artificial tooth into the bone of the jaw. It acts as a root over which a crown or a bridge can be placed. There is no need for surrounding teeth to anchor the crown/bridge. If you are looking for affordable dental implants, New York offers several options for the same.
Who is a candidate?
Not everyone who needs teeth replacement requires dental implants. In fact, not everyone can get them. To make implants work as they should, the gums need to be healthy and there should be sufficient bone to support the implant. Of course, bone can be built up but your doctor may think that you already have enough to work with. Getting an implant is a surgical procedure and there is a recovery period involved. If you smoke or suffer from illnesses, such as diabetes, the healing process can delay.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants have numerous advantages over other options. Here are a few benefits of getting them:
• Better fit: Implants are much less prone to shifting and once healed, you will find them comfortable and problem-free. The discomfort that arises out of wearing other prosthesis is reduced significantly.
• Allow for consuming a variety of foods: Dental implants are very stable, which means there is no restriction to the type of food you can consume. You can eat and drink what you want.
• Last longer: Implants are designed to last long and hold up very well under wear and tear. They don’t usually need to be replaced and if they do, it won’t be for the next 20-25 years or so.
• Raise confidence: Implants help build confidence. Unlike some prosthesis that clicks or shifts when eating or speaking, implants stay firmly in place. You can smile, laugh, speak, and eat without worrying about potential embarrassments.
• Feel like real teeth: Dental implants act like real teeth roots. They feel like natural teeth. They don’t hinder speech and, in fact, may improve it. Patients who have difficulty with speech owing to missing teeth or crooked teeth will enjoy being able to speak confidently and well.
Many US cities have clinics that undertake dental implants, New York included. Do your research before settling on one and make an appointment. The doctor will tell you if you are an ideal candidate or not and what you need to do to become one and prepare yourself for the procedure. You’ll be informed about the process and can pose queries and concerns as well.