Back-to-school shopping can be overwhelming. One might end up spending more than they initially planned because of the various supplies needed by a child to get through the academic year. Although one can easily purchase stationary such as pens and pencils with affordable school supplies deals, they cannot skimp on other items like shoes and backpacks. Also, the rising costs of most items might make it difficult to save on school supplies. However, there are a few ways to limit the expenses of school supplies without compromising on the quality of the items. Here are a few tips to save on back-to-school supplies.
- Reuse instead of buying: One of the best ways to save on school supplies is to reuse instead of buying new things. Backpacks and lunchboxes from the previous academic year can be used again if these are still in good condition. The best school supplies deals can be found in late October or early November when a lot of back-to-school supplies go in for clearance. The prices go very low during these sales, and shoppers can find everything at this time, right from cute back-to-school supplies to simple, functional ones. Past years’ supplies can be easily used for a couple of months until such clearance sales come on. One can also check their craft drawers, file cabinets, or closet shelves to look for last year’s leftover and unused school supplies.
- Buy from the list: A lot of times teachers give back-to-school supplies list to students. These lists mention all the items required by children during a semester or school year along with their exact quantities. It is best to shop for school supplies after the list is received. This way one saves money on extra stuff that will not be required or used. Using a list also helps to stay within the allocated budget and prevent overspending on things that will be used only for a year.
- Buy long-lasting back-to-school supplies: School stuff such as backpacks and sneakers go through some extreme use. One should buy these things from major brands and manufacturers, preferably with a lifetime warranty. School supplies that have to go through rough wear and tear should be sturdy and long-lasting. In this way, one does not have to shell out a lot to replace these items again and again in the middle of the school year.
- Buy online: One of the best ways to find good and cheap school supplies is through online retailers such as Target, Amazon, Best Buy, and Boxed. Shoppers can find affordable school supplies coupons through these retailers for buying in bulk and at inexpensive prices as well. These retailers often have a school supplies sale before the school season begins. Through these e-commerce websites, shoppers can buy school supplies online, right from stationary to gadgets required for school or college.
- Label everything: Many parents and students often have to buy new school supplies in the middle of the school year due to misplacing or losing these items. The lost-and-found box of a school is filled with unclaimed school supplies. To prevent school supplies from getting lost in the heap of unclaimed items, label everything using address labels or stickers. Write down the entire name on each of the school items. Labeling school supplies will help to avoid replacing these items later.