An individual’s diet and the health of their digestive system are interlinked. Hence, it is essential to choose the right foods that can help to stop diarrhea, especially at a time when the digestive system is already in turmoil. Moreover, a balanced diet is vital when during diarrheal episodes as it aids in replenishing lost nutrients and electrolytes.
Foods that stop diarrhea
We’ve presented a list of foods that can help to stop diarrhea. They soothe the digestive system and promote faster recovery. These foods also prevent any further aggravation of the problem and provide balanced nutrition which is essential for healing.
- Bananas: Bananas are one of the best foods that stop diarrhea. They are easily digestible and balance the levels of electrolytes in the body as they are a rich source of potassium. Moreover, they are abundant in pectin, a soluble fiber known to help in smooth movement of stools.
- Rice: A rich source of carbohydrate, rice is easily digestible and firms up the stool, thus helping patients who have diarrhea.
- Toast: Due to little fiber content, toast is easy to digest.
- Mashed potatoes: Steamed or boiled potatoes are one of the best foods to stop diarrhea. Rich in potassium, they help balance a patient’s electrolyte levels. You can also add a small amount of salt but avoid fat and butter.
- Steamed chicken: Steamed chicken is a good source of nutrition and has easily digestible proteins.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is one of the best foods that stop diarrhea due to its balancing effect on gut microbes. Doctors recommend that patients consume yogurt that contains Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. Avoid yogurt with sugar or artificial sweeteners to prevent lactose intolerance.
- Peppermint tea: It soothes the digestive system and rehydrates patients, thus helping patients who are suffering from diarrhea.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are an abundant source of essential nutrients, and a few of these such as carrots, acorn squash, beets, and beans are great choices. However, one must avoid vegetables such as corn, peas, cauliflower, and leafy vegetables as they are hard to digest and may cause gas.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is one of the foods that can stop diarrhea. It acts as a stool bulking agent due to the presence of soluble fibers.
- Liquids: Drink sufficient amounts of water to rehydrate your body. It also helps in replacing any lost fluids. You can try coconut water too.
Diarrhea causes loss of water and water-soluble electrolytes from the body. Selecting foods wisely can help stop diarrhea and also aid in faster recovery. Thus, one can avoid the serious consequences of this condition.