Alpha lipoic acid is found extensively in yeast, kidney, liver, spinach, broccoli, and potatoes. Along with these foods, it is also made in laboratories to be used as a supplement or medicine. Alpha lipoic is a chemical like vitamins and is called an antioxidant. Alpha lipoic acid is used for diabetes and other never related symptoms of diabetes like burning, pain, and numbness in the legs and arms. Germany has allowed intaking of high doses of alpha lipoic supplements to counter these problems.
Alpha lipoic acid has many other uses, let us look at some of them:
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery: Alpha lipoic supplements can decrease the complications related to the CABG surgery. Research shows that consuming a product containing alpha lipoic acid, CoQ10, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and selenium can provide the required help. This product should ideally be consumed for two months before the surgery and one month after it.
- Diabetes: This use of alpha lipoic acid cannot be guaranteed to a large extent. As far as lipoic acid is known to affect the blood sugar levels in the body. There is some research that shows alpha lipoic acid could also cause side effects and lead to a drop in the blood sugar levels or not affect them at all.
- Diabetic nerve pain: Diabetes can cause a lot of pain in the nerves, burning in the stomach and a feeling of numbness in the arms and legs. Intake of alpha lipoic acid can result in the drop of these effects, subsequently reducing the nerve pain. Although it can take up to three to five weeks for the improvements to show.
- Prediabetes: There is some research to back this use of alpha lipoic acid. Receiving about 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid intravenously once a day for about two weeks can result in a decrease in the blood sugar content after meals.
- Vitiligo: A product that contains alpha lipoic acid also contains some levels of Vitamin C and E. Take a product that contains these components along with polyunsaturated fatty acids and a light therapy almost every day for eight months. This treatment is said to improve the skin discoloration among the people with vitiligo.
- Wound healing: Taking 300 mg of a specific alpha lipoic product once before and once after the oxygen therapy is said to improve the condition of the patient. This must be practiced for 14-30 days and works best for patients with ulcers.