Often mistaken for indigestion, gastritis is a more serious version of stomach disorder. Although the symptoms of gastritis are similar to those of indigestion, it is caused by a bacteria known as H.pylori as opposed to a diet that may cause indigestion. However, diet can aggravate the symptoms of gastritis. So, it is necessary to take care of gastritis foods to avoid and be mindful of food that is eaten during a bout of gastritis.
The H.pylori bacteria causes inflammation of the stomach lining leading to gastritis, which in extreme cases may lead to stomach ulcers. The effects of this are abdominal pain, discomfort, burning sensation in the abdomen, nausea, and so on. Acute symptoms of gastritis go away in a couple of days by following a careful diet. However, if the symptoms persist for a longer duration and the discomfort continues, it is best to consult a doctor.
Here is a list of gastritis foods to avoid and foods to eat:
- Eat broccoli: Broccoli contains sulforaphane. It has anti-bacterial properties that help to deal with H.pylori bacteria that causes gastritis. Broccoli sprouts can help to provide relief from gastritis symptoms. You can add them to salads, sandwiches or just stir-fry them. If you want to try something different, you can add them to smoothies as well.
- Stay away from citrus fruits: Citrus fruits such as grape fruit, orange, lemons, and limes are high in acidic content. Eating these fruits or juices of these fruits can increase the inflammation of the stomach lining. This can aggravate the abdominal pain and other symptoms of gastritis.
- Add yogurt to your diet: The presence of active cultures of good bacteria in yogurt makes the gut healthy and helps to fight against the symptoms of gastritis. Eating a bowl of yogurt every day helps to strengthen the immune system and prevents gastritis in the body. Fat-free organic yogurt without any flavor is recommended for effective gastritis relief.
- Avoid spicy food: A group of gastritis foods to avoid the most is spicy foods. Spices such as chili, garlic, black and red pepper, and jalapeno may cause further inflammation of the stomach lining leading to stomach cramps and pain. The burning sensation will be aggravated.
- No processed or refined foods: This is another group of gastritis foods to avoid to get relief from painful symptoms. Avoid eating anything with trans fat or food cooked in refined vegetable oils. It is best to avoid pasteurized dairy products, pasta, bread, food with added sugar, greasy fried food, and factory-farm poultry products.