Potassium plays a crucial role in hydrating the body. Together with sodium, it helps in performing proper cellular functions. Deficiency of potassium can lead to several health issues including headaches, palpitations, swelling of glands and tissues. The recommended dietary intake of potassium in both male and female is over 4000 mg. However, consult your doctor to know exactly how much potassium you need as every individual has different dietary requirements.
Here are 15 health benefits of potassium rich foods with their health benefits:
- Foods rich in potassium help in help in delivering more oxygen to the brain, thereby stimulating better neural activity. It also helps in improving cognitive function.
- A drop in blood sugar causes trembling, headache, sweating, overall weakness. Potassium is especially good for diabetic people as it helps to reduce the plunges and spikes in the blood glucose level.
Potassium and muscle health are directly related. Potassium is necessary for muscle contraction and relaxation. Since potassium is located in muscles, it also helps in maintain proper neural connectivity.
- For functioning effectively, cells need optimum amount of water balance. It optimizes water balance in the body.
- Including Potassium rich foods in your daily diet reduces the risk of sudden cardiac health issues like stroke. Potassium helps in relaxing the blood vessels in the body, and encourages normal blood flow. It also reduces the chances of blood clotting.
- One of the 15 health benefits of potassium rich foods is that it increases the metabolism of the body by helping absorb carbohydrates and fats and extracting other valuable nutrients. With assisting in cell growth, it also plays an important role in protein synthesis.
- Potassium helps in reducing hypertension and also regulates blood pressure, making it one of the vital functions of the mineral.
- If you are struggling with low bone density, then potassium might help you strengthening the bone function. Potassium rich foods help in generating higher mineral density.
- With regulating metabolism, potassium helps in keeping kidney functions normal. It assists the organ by flushing pout the waste products by regularizing bowel movement.
- One of the 15 health benefits of protein rich foods is that it helps in controlling migraines and convolutions.
- Potassium stimulates cell growth which is important for muscle enhancement and adds strength and fitness to the body.
- It also helps in reducing stress and anxiety which is one of the important 15 health benefits of potassium rich foods. Being an excellent stress buster, it also helps in improving mental performance.
- Potassium rich foods like banana, avocados, spinach etc. help in boosting nervous reflexes that transmits message easily to different parts of the body.
- Sweet potatoes being rich in potassium helps in maintaining bone and heart health. Eating them with yogurt can increase your potassium intake as yogurt is also considered as a potassium rich food.
- Dried apricots, peaches, tomatoes, figs and bananas are fruits and vegetables rich in potassium that helps one reach a healthy weight and reduce cellulite.